Monday, September 26, 2016

Land of the rising..... rain?

Helloooo everyone!

To explain the caption for this week's email... Japan is known as the Land of the Rising Sun. Yet, I've been here now 2 weeks and have seen the sun for a total of abouttttttt 20 minutes. Haha! It's always raining here. Like pouring. In fact, I experienced my first typhoon this week. WOO JAPAN. I've gotten some good use out of my rain suit (a head to toe rain outfit... it's quite the look;)

These are their rain suits. I'm not kidding. They are a thing.
This week was crazy! Lots of adjusting to do. I'm still getting used to all the culture shock! It's an adventure, that's for sure! Seriously, everything here is exactly the opposite of America. Nothing. I mean NOTHING is the same! Fun fun fun:)

To follow up on last week's crash. Hahaha still laughing about how dumb I am. But ANYWAYS. I am healing and everything is gonna be justttt fine! The Fujimi Kawagoe ward here has taken such good care of me and has made sure I've gotten all the help I've needed. Seriously they are the best. Gah. Japanese people are just so nice! Anyways though, FEAR NOT EVERYONE! I LIVE ON. (with a few nice scars and bruises, but hey. Battle wounds are cool right?;)

This week we did a lot of visiting. We got to go visit with the cutest 94 year old grandmother this week and my heart seriously melted. We were able to sing a hymn and pray with her. The spirit was sooooo strong as we sang with her, all crowded around the iPad to be able to zoom in on the characters so she could see and sing them. It was super special. I am so grateful for the hymns and the spirit that they can bring! Music is always one of the ways I feel the spirit most, so it was super cool to have that experience this week.

Last Monday, there was a wedding in the ward. It was SO fun. Everyone and their dog came to support and it was so cute! We got to help set up and make food and work with the Relief Society. It was a blast. It's cool. In Japan, ward boundaries are really really big so people have to travel quite a ways to get to the church. Yet each Sunday, and each activity, everyone comes. These members do so much for the church and it is soooo inspiring!

Missions are hard. Like really hard. As I struggle here with adjusting and with trying to understand and speak the language, I am able to come closer to my Father in Heaven and Savior Jesus Christ. I truly honestly cannot do this on my own, but as Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

THE CHURCH IS TRUE

Fun facts for the week:

- Japan has the most amazing desserts on the whole planet. From cream puffs, to waffles, to chocolate pandas, etc. MAN EVERYTHING IS SO GOOD. We had these chocolate ice cream bars this week that honestly changed my life. I am a better person now thanks to Black Thunder ice cream bars. 
#getblackthundericecreaminamerica2k16


- There is no space in Japan. Like at all. No one has yards, and in fact, their parking goes underground. So you park your car and then this machine takes it deep into the earth and another spot pops up for the next car. IT'S WILD MAN.

Look at her! She's the cutest!
Even in her "adorable" rain suit!

No comments:

Post a Comment